Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Hope of Resurrection

Standing at the corner of my street this morning I saw the funeral cortege of one of the world's most famous football (soccer) players go by. My mum, dad, sister and daughter were also there. There was talk of it being a historical occasion that shouldn't be missed. I have no experience of having anyone near or dear to me die. But when I see and hear how people are remembered upon their recent decease and especially on this occasion, when it is referred to as a historical event, I can't help thinking of Jesus Christ. If anyone's death should be honoured as an important historical event surely it should be His - how can anyone elses compare. And His was not merely a Death consigned to history because as His disciples saw and faithfully reported - He rose again from the dead thus giving all who believe in Him the Hope of Resurrection Life.

So today, amid all the tributes and banter surrounding the death of one of this world's celebrities I simply want to remember my Lord, whose Death and subsequent Resurrection I with all my Brethren are bound to celebrate and give thanks for as the single most important Death in our lives (the second being our own in taking up the Cross and following Him daily).

I'd like to end this blog with a few verses of Scripture.

Colossians 1:16 says, "For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him."

Hebrews 4:13 says, "And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."

Hebrews 9:27 says, "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment..."

2 Corinthians 5:10 says, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad."

Matthew 12:36,37 says, "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

See how God has created everything for Himself and how He sees and expects us to account for everything we say and do?! Therefore we have a responsibility to Honour God and even FEAR God while we live in this mortal life. Thank God that through the Death (and Resurrection) of His own Son we can!

While writing this blog God spoke to me! Concerning the death of friends and near and dear ones - God is a duvet! In my dictionary the only entry for duvet is the synonym "COMFORTER". Thank God for His 'holistic' and comprehensive care of mortal man!

No comments: