Monday, March 06, 2006

Keep on Praying

A thought on Prayer:

Jesus says we must believe our own prayers and that we should persevere in praying them - not to give up.

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. MATTHEW 21:22

18:1 He also taught them by a parable that they must always pray and never lose heart.
18:2 "In a certain town," He said, "there was a judge who had no fear of God and no respect for man.
18:3 And in the same town was a widow who repeatedly came and entreated him, saying, "'Give me justice and stop my oppressor.'
18:4 "For a time he would not, but afterwards he said to himself, "'Though I have neither reverence for God nor respect for man,
18:5 yet because she annoys me I will give her justice, to prevent her from constantly coming to pester me.'"
18:6 And the Lord said, "Hear those words of the unjust judge.
18:7 And will not God avenge the wrongs of His own People who cry aloud to Him day and night, although He seems slow in taking action on their behalf?
18:8 Yes, He will soon avenge their wrongs. Yet, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on earth?" LUKE 18:1-8 Weymouth translation.



FAITH, HOPE and LOVE:

A man is valuable, and a merciful man precious: but it is hard to find a faithful man. PROVERBS 20:6 Brenton translation of the Septuagint.

Immediately the father cried out, "I do believe: strengthen my weak faith." MARK 9:24 Weymouth translation.

When ye go, ye shall come unto a people secure, and to a large land: for God hath given it into your hands; a place where there is no want of any thing that is in the earth. JUDGES 18:10 KJV.

To Herod the sight of Jesus was a great gratification, for, for a long time, he had been wanting to see Him, because he had heard so much about Him. He hoped also to see some miracle performed by Him. LUKE 23:8 Weymouth translation.

And make me savory meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. GENESIS 27:4 KJV.

Honor thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. MATTHEW 19:19 KJV.


An excerpt from THE IMITATION OF CHRIST, book 1, chapter 14:

"Old habit is hard to give up, and no one is easily led beyond his own point of view. If you lean more on your reason and activity than on the subjective power of Jesus Christ, seldom or tardily will you become enlightened: for God wants us to be perfectly submissive to Him, and borne beyond all reasoning by a burning Love."

No comments: